Beginning – Port Świętego Spokoju (The Port of Holy Peace)
The beginnings of the port date back to 1457, when the Trzebiatowskis, in cooperation with the monastery in Białoboki, dug a new, shortened riverbed of the Rega River (excluding Lake Resko Przymorskie) in the area of today’s Mrzeżyno. The investment was made after many years of conflict with the Gryfice, for the right to sail on the Reda River and after an armed clash with Kołobrzeg. A stronger town blocked the port of Regoujście, which had previously been used by Trzebiatów merchants.
The new harbour was built for ‘holy peace’, but it has also been strongly reinforced. The remnants of old breakwaters, uncovered in 1861, testify to the fact that the harbour of Mrzeżyno in its heyday was two feet longer than the harbour of Kołobrzeg. The port was gaining or losing its importance as it struggled with the silting of port heads. In 1712, nine Trzebiatów merchants had their own ships. At the turn of the 18th and 19th century there was a shipyard in Mrzeżyno, where, among others, the sailing ship Marie Charlotte (1781) and the galleon Atalanta (1802) were built.
In the second half of the 19th century, the harbour and the settlement were almost completely destroyed by strong storms that went deep into the land. The 19th century and the beginning of the 20th century is a period of increasing popularity of Mrzeżyno as a resort, but without significance for the development of the port.
The first Polish settler to arrive in Mrzeżyno was Czesław Kuliberda, a fisherman by profession. The main port activity was fishing. In 1958, fishermen from Mrzeżyno established their own cooperative called Rega.
In 1964, the Minister of Shipping formally established the boundaries of the seaport in Mrzeżyna. The port was subordinated to the Maritime Office in Szczecin.
At the end of the 1960s, the port was rebuilt, changing the shape of the heads. The approach path is directed eastwards. A similar shape of the port entrance is located in Władysławowo.
The entrance to the harbour situated in such a way caused intensive shoaling just by the heads of the breakwater. The port of Mrzeżyno has become dangerous for fishermen and sailors.
Current times – modernisation of the port
On July 1, 2007, the “Mrzeżyno Seaport Authorities” (ZMP) were established, which is a budgetary unit of the municipality of Trzebiatów. The aim of the ZPM was, among other things, to carry out repairs to the port infrastructure, preparing the port for safe tourist navigation.
In the period 2013-2015, the port was modernised. Port quays with a total length of 429 m were modernised and equipped with water and electricity supply points. The following facilities have been built: a repair dock with a workshop building and a slip for fishing vessels stationed in the harbour, a direct fish sales building with a warehouse, a cold store and an ice generator. Roads, dry docks, sanitary sewage, rainwater drainage, power and water supply networks have been rebuilt. Oily water and municipal sewage discharge points have been built, as well as a port administration facility. The cost of the investment was PLN 40 million, with EU funding of PLN 31 million.